Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sixty, Shmixty: Another 10lb Benchmark Smashed


According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the average nine-year-old weighs about 60 pounds.  I am happy to announce that I have finally gotten rid of an obnoxious, burdensome nine-year-old child.  And their four pound teddy bear. 

I’ve hovered at 59.5 pounds for the last few weeks.  Despite working out, things have been tight and I haven’t been eating as regularly and as balanced as I should.  You’d think I'd lose weight that way, but no – it messes with my body.  So after a week of good eatin’ as well as regularly working out, I lost 4.5 pounds, which puts me at 252.8.  I am SO close to being on the lower end of the 200’s. 

I remember celebrating with my roommate when the 300’s were a thing of the past.  Now, they’re long gone, never to be seen again.  Then I was out of the 290’s, then the 280’s, and now – I’m 3 pounds away from being nearer to the 100’s than the 300’s.  And I will never go back. 

I was a total nail-biter for most of my life.  Then, a few years ago, I wanted to stop.  So, I did.  When I finally make up my mind about something, it’s done.  And I don’t go back.  I just wish it didn’t take me so long to finally just do it. 

Grey pants on left: at my heaviest, a size 28, and well over 300 pounds.  Skirt in center: I'd lost a little weight last  year and
 was excited I could uncomfortably wear this size 26, still over 300 pounds.  Jeans on the right:  my old size 24 "skinny jeans"
that I could barely fit into when I started this process in March at 316.5 pounds.  I'm now a size 18 on bottom, and 16/18 on top.  

If you’re wondering what my goal is, join the club.  Not even I know.  Right now, I’m getting there 10 pounds at a time.  The weird thing is, the more I lose, the more I’m realizing how much more I have to go.  There really, truly is a smaller person underneath all of this than I ever realized.  So, why try to pin down something I don’t even quite grasp yet?  

I do know what I want, though. 

I want to be a healthy, fit, vibrant person.  I want to have an overall downward trajectory in my weight loss, even if there are a few squiggles in the line along the way.  I want others to be encouraged by my experiences, especially the odd ones that only someone who’s been there might understand.  I want others to know they can do this.  I want to constantly find joy in the small ways that my life has changed, knowing that a huge thing is happening. 

And I want to go shopping, but we’ll talk about that another day.  

16 comments:

  1. Looking GOOOOOOOD Sarah!!! Keep it up!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually made me cry... I am so proud of you! You go girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have brought tears to my eyes and you are such an inspiration! God bless and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, guys! The thought of all of this making someone smile for a moment, feel inspired and challenged, or even feel like someone understands them makes me giddier than anything. Would love it if you added your names in here next time so I know who I'm getting to talk to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Sarah! You're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these pics and they make me excited for this year's Christmas Sweater photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I think we should celebrate our triumphs this week. I'm thinking dance party at Fort O'Bau Bau.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Shari! And Caity - I'm already giddy about Christmas photos this year, haha. We've totally gotta have a dance party in Fort O'Bau Bau... I'm gonna rig it up so I've got my speakers out here and we can "DJ" using my computer, an ipod, AND the record player. And, if there's a CD somewhere we bust out that we don't have on one of the other things, we can pop that bad boy in the DVD player annnnnnd - I'll take a breath now. You get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah,

    I am so proud of you. You inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah,
    I'm a friend of Caity's, so her postings made me curious about your blog.
    For f#ck sake (as we say here in Ireland), you two look amazing and totally inspired me this morning!
    I look forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY SARAH! I am so proud of you and Caity and it has helped me to stay inspired with my own journey (I'm almost to the 50 pound mark!). I can't wait to see you so I can give you a congratulatory hug! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! You and Caity are really inspirational. I'm so glad you started a blog, too, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am soooooo proud of you Sarah! This makes me so happy for you you have no idea!! Well done you! :)
    Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah! I just found you via Pinterest. I'm just starting the journey of saying good-bye to my weight and I think reading your posts will be so inspiring! I like your idea of getting there 10 pounds at a time. 10 pounds doesn't seem as daunting as 100! Anyway, I'm glad I found you and I'll be following along! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Amy! Pinterest, haha - that's awesome. Thanks for saying hi! Yeah, every time I hit a new first digit, it's pretty exciting. I'm trying to not think about an end goal too much and just soak in the excitement of steady progress. It's pretty darn satisfying. Then, after a while, you look back and you're like, "Holy beans... I can't believe I've come so far..." Thanks for following, and feel free to comment again. Hearing from people makes me soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found you on Pinterest. You're an inspiration. I have lost 21.5 lbs so far. My blog is mhunsinger.blogpot.com, if you want to follow me.

    ReplyDelete